Yesterday I cut the special blackout lining and today I will show you my plan for these curtains and how I cut all the new fabrics.
I found a dark grey printed decorator cotton that looks perfect with the fabric from the old curtains for the extra fabric needed for the larger windows in his new apartment.
I want to use the full width of the new fabric. It is 45 1/2" wide but neither of the selvedges are usable.
Before I cut the lengths from this new fabric I, again, measure the full piece to be sure I can get three equal pieces. And, to cut these large panels, I use the same method as I did to cut the large lining pieces.
I will sew the main part of each of the curtains first with the blackout lining. Then I will add on the upper band with all the tabs. I have over estimated the length right now ... probably 3 or 4 inches. Once the main part is all finished, I will measure them again, even up any discrepancies and cut them to the exactly length needed.
Wisdom from my mother "cut things larger than you need ... it can always be trimmed away later"
Will report back tomorrow. I'm not going anywhere today. It's COLD ... 5 degrees. Now, I know I shouldn't complain. It is much colder in other parts of the country, but 5 is still pretty cold. A great sewing day.