As a toy designer I've done many movie "tie in" toys ranging from Muppet Babies, X-Men characters to Lord of the Ring collector figures. When doing this kind of work everything has to be approved by the licenser, in this case Disney.
This was the first licensed pattern I'd done for the sewing industry and I approached it like I would a licensed toy first enlarging the illustration as much a possible, then drawing a grid over it and using a proportional scale to transfer the measurements of each portion of the character correctly from drawing to costume.
They send style books with artwork from several different angles and sheets with the exact colors to use. These are the same style sheets used by anyone making products using the licensed character, whether a night light or stuffed toy. But this time, if I remember right, the sheets for this project didn't arrive and I had to find as much information on line as I could. The first fabric swatches I sent in were for a dark green. I couldn't tell the right color with the images I was finding on line, but Disney wanted teal. The only fabric I could find with the correct shade was crushed panne velour, which Disney liked. Color for them is more important than fabric type.
In the old days we had to send in the actual costume for approval and we would get back a sheet with very specific changes they wanted. Now everything goes via the internet and photos are sent. But they still have the final say.
Here are some more Disney costume patterns I have made over the years, some are still in the current catalog.
This is currently in the line.
I've always been told being agreeable is an important part of getting hired in any job. It really counted this time.