I, also, cut the 9 yards of fabric into manageable lengths according to what I estimated the necessary large pieces would be, serged the ends to prevent fraying and washed and dried them to preshrink the fabric. I would like my son to be able to wash this ... well, I hope he does wash it occasionally.
But the dryer really crumpled the fabric up and I needed to press it out, mostly around the edges.
So, I will make a pattern as I go by laying fabric over one half of the couch, smoothing it out, and draw lines with a washable white pencil. Then I will cut the fabric, folded in half if it is a piece that covers both sides or double if it is a separate piece that has a mirror image piece on the other side of the couch. Since I don't have to make any pattern (YAY!) and because it doesn't have to be perfect fit down to the 1/4" I plan to eye ball my 1/2" seam allowance as I cut.
| || |
Oh ... and I forgot to take photos of this, but I've also made a piece for the front which starts at the back of the seat and goes over and down the front. This piece is now sewn to the back piece along that back seat corner. It is made in the same way as the "over the back" piece ... not too hard.
Before unpinning everything I even up the seam allowances and make lots of pointed notches AND inward notches. This will make it easier to match things up when sewing it up for real.
Lay the piece made for the one armrest over the second piece of fabric to cut the second armrest. See what a strangely shaped piece it is.
That's for tomorrow. I am very motivated to get this finished. I want this couch out of here when my new one arrives!