Simplicity usually doesn't take this long to release its new catalog. I have no idea what happened. Maybe just the holidays got in the way ...
Really, this is a fairly easy and straight forward pattern, so I don't have any tutorials, but I do have a story about it that will give you an eye into the limitations and considerations Simplicity has to take when publishing a pattern and fitting it into their little standard sized envelope.
To tell this story, I need to show you the photographs I took of these costumes before I packed them up for their trip to New York.
I made it out of no-wale corduroy (the red part) and embroidered tricot velour with a poly-satin lining for the sleeves. I used appliqués that Simplicty sells on their website ... link to the red one ... and a link to the gold ones. BUT they are really silver. I painted them with metallic gold fabric paint before applying them. AND I sewed them on. I don't often trust iron-on things.
If you like the trim I used, it is still available at Joann's. I took this photo 5 days ago.
Before I get into that, though, please note that I also took this photo 5 days ago at Joann's. The fabric for this dress is also still available.
Now onto the story ...
Shortly after I sent in these three dresses, I got a phone call from Simplicity telling me that they were planning to eliminate one of them. When this happens, it's usually either because the pattern pieces are too big, or the sewing is too complicated. There are limits to the amount of tissue and number of guide sheets that can fit into the envelope.
When I sent these dresses in, the turquoise one and the gold one had completely separate underskirts. The over dresses had splits in the seams that I finished with long straight facing pieces. I put the facings on the straight grain since the edges of the skirt panels are on the bias and I wanted to control any stretching that might happen and I thought they would hang straighter that way.
I like the skirt and dress being separate. I think the dress would move better, but there wasn't room in the pattern for the large dress pieces with those huge sleeves AND the very flared skirt pattern as well ... sigh ...
So these two dresses now have godets (triangular wedges) sewn into those skirt seams.
I have to say, looking at these two photos, I really can't tell the difference. The dress will move differently though.
I will be less expensive to make this dress now. That underskirt required quite a bit of fabric.
First, make a flared skirt that has no gathering at the waist. You don't want any bulkiness there. This means a waistband and zipper or at least an open placket and hook. The dress should cover that.
Then, leave the skirt seams open up to the point indicated on the pattern and cut straight strips of the dress fabric to make facings for the skirt split openings.
I hope this pattern will be a jumping off point to some wonderful original creations.